Thursday 22 January 2015

In which I try to make friends again

Leffe Blonde. It was a beer I used to enjoy a lot of in the early 1990s, an easy-going beer, an easy-to-drink beer, but a Blackpool rock of a beer that I soon discarded as the tide went out and uncovered plenty of better beers. But last night on passing a pub in central London, a local-looking pub; it’s so rare an occasion to see a local pub in this part of central London; and this pub that I used to go into when I worked around here some years ago (the beers drank? I can’t remember), but I thought I would go in. And there is Leffe and I think why not (£3.50 a half is so craft). The beer? It’s so sticky and sweet and toffee like, crystalline even, the sort of beer that you would use for cakes (now there’s an idea, as it’s certianly not fit for recreational drinking). Oh well, I tried (nice people at the pub though, nice pub actually) and I finally said goodbye to Leffe.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you there, far too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just in case the standard one isn't sweet enough, they have a version with a load of honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you go to Belgium there are a million flavours / varieties of Leffe. Not saying any of them are worth the detour, mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember once finishing a boozy weekend in Bruges with my then girlfriend Alicia who was long-suffering in that regard. On the way to station we sat outside an anonymous cafe in a square thronged with Japanese tourists. We asked for two large Leffes - mine blonde, hers brown - thinking we'd get the 0.5L goblets you see over there but not here. Waiter brought us two 1L German steins. Great end to the trip.

    ReplyDelete